Understanding Condensation Risk
Long perceived to be immune from condensation problems, Australia has seen an increase in the occurrence and severity of condensation problems across dissimilar climate zones due to changes in building design and increases in energy efficiency targets.
Energy efficient construction increases condensation risk
The drive for energy efficient buildings has resulted in higher levels of insulation in the roof space and walls, as well as reduced air leakage due to modern energy conscious building practices. As a result, this has dramatically changed the temperature and moisture balance within buildings, which has increased the risk of condensation formation within the building structure.
The possible consequences of condensation and the subsequent high humidity environment include;
- Health Risks: Unseen mould growth behind wall linings and external cladding can be a health risk to the occupants, particularly the young or elderly.
- Visual Deterioration: Deflection or staining of plasterboard linings as a result of moisture trapped behind the linings can cause ugly stains and swelling.
- Structural Decay: Moisture trapped within the structure can result in long term corrosion of metal structures, timber rot, loosening of nails as timber swells, and cladding rot or swelling which can result in costly rectification work.
- Energy Efficiency: A reduction in the buildings energy efficiency can occur due to moisture saturation of the insulation, which can result in loss of thermal performance.
What's the solution for controlling condensation?
Vapour permeable membranes are designed to allow moisture to pass through them whilst preventing the entry of wind driven rain and dust from the outside environment both during and after construction. When positioned against the outside of the building frames as a wall wrap or roof sarking, these membranes reduce the risk of condensation forming inside the home and building structure.
Enviroseal Proctorwrap key benefits:
- Condensation protection for a healthier home
- Improves air tightness and energy efficiency
- Protects against the entry of wind, rain and dust
- Reduces the risk of unseen mould growth